Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Nico's diner, Brick Street, Derby

"Why don't you get your own washing machine" said one of the guys in the pub? "Because I live in an apartment and I don't want to hear it, when I'm watching TV". "Well then put it on a timer, to come on during the night!" he quickly replied. OK, so he's right, but nearly 2 years down the line, and I still take the washing to my beautiful laundrette. In that time I've been intrigued with Nico's diner, oppposite the laundrette and squeezed between the bookies and wine-off.
Going away tomorrow, no food in the fridge, so dash round with the missus. "No matter how many are in, or what you think, we're goin in!" I tell her. There were only two other tables occupied, but it's compact, cosy interior meant it still felt good. I think there are probably only ten tables at the most anyway. We dived straight in with a bowl of cheese nachos to share, it was only a couple of quid, but Tangy Cheese Doritos, not nachos, let it down a bit. Seafood tagliatelle for me (you can choose your pasta type, nice touch), medium black pepper sirloin for Bec. My large bowl of seafood pasta was good enough, creamy & garlicky. Bec's knife glided through her generous piece of meat, fresh salad garnish, but the Everest size mound of curly fries let it down. Far too many and more appropriate for your kids 10th birthday party! It would be better with a more manageable portion of chunky chips.
It wasn't long before yours truly was chatting to the guy on the table next to us, an eccentric retired gold dealer called Buzz, He and his partner have eaten there every night for 2 years !! (apart from Sundays) By all accounts given a days notice Nico will cook you anything you want. Aparently he does a very good mixed grill and sausage & mash, his speciality is mashed potato, made by baking spuds, then scooping out the middle and mixing in copious amounts of butter. Well for £28 smackers for the 2 of us, including drinks, it was fair game. Next time we'll probably drop the nachos, so I reckon you can both have a good plate full, with a cold beer for just over £20, as much as you'd want to pay in the week. Worth a look, and please say hello to Buzz from me. Oh, and one last thing, Nico's bistro, would certainly sound better than Nico's diner. Go for it !
Food 6/10
Service 6/10
Venue 5/10
Tel: 01332 208220

"You spurn my natural emotions" (Ever fallen in love, The Buzzcocks, 1979)
Martin, Tuesday 16th January 2007

No comments: